First-time homebuyers rejoice! The Mortgage Credit Certificate (aka MCC) program provides qualified homebuyers with income tax savings of up to 30% of the interest paid on their mortgage loan.
The annual savings, about $2,000 per year, is like getting a well-deserved bonus during tax season. Over the life of the loan, that could mean tens of thousands of dollars saved. Because the one-time fees are typically less than the amount you’ll save in your first year, you’ll be ahead of the game from the get-go.
Check out these program details.
- Tax credit up to 30% of the interest paid on a mortgage loan
- Savings to continue each year based on the actual mortgage interest paid
- Remaining interest can be claimed as a tax deduction
- Debt-to-income ratio reduced; buying power increased
- $400 program discount when combined with Home Is Possible (see HIP Plus)
- Statewide program
- First-time homebuyers (have not owned a home in the past 3 years) or qualified veterans
- Households meeting normal FHA, VA, conventional or USDA RD underwriting requirements
- Households within the maximum income and purchase price limits
- Must live in the home as the primary residence
- One-time fees: $795 program fee plus $300 lender application fee
We are proud to report that the MCC program fees are waived for qualified veterans. Veterans who are honorably discharged, active duty military members who are first-time homebuyers, surviving spouses and National Guard service personnel are eligible.